Posted by hilda on February 16, 2017
Since 1999 Brouwerij Het Anker has been brewing Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer, the Grand Cru of the Emperor, every February 24th, to celebrate the birthday of Emperor Charles V. Charles was the only Holy Roman Emperor to rule Europe from Belgium, and he had his court in the small Belgian town of Mechelen, the home of Het Anker. In 1999 Charles Leclef, the 5th generation owner of Het Anker, decided to brew a special beer to honor the Emperor, creating a stronger version of the beer which Het Anker had brewed for the Emperor’s court centuries ago.
On February 24, 2016 from 5-9 PM Wetten Importers is hosting the 2nd annual Cuvee van de Keizer Day, to celebrate this very special brew. Having won numerous international awards, including World’s Best Belgian-Style Strong Beer at the 2015 World Beer Awards, if any beer is worthy of having its own day, it is the Grand Cru of the Emperor.
The two beers and whisky tasting will consist of the Cuvee Van De Keizer, the Gouden Carolus Classic paired with the Gouden Carolus Single Malt whiskey – a refined whisky distilled from the mash of the Gouden Carolus tripel beer.
The tasting will be $12 for pours of the two beers and whisky. If you’re planning a trip to Belgium in the future, ask Hilda, about her recent experience traveling to Belgium and spending the night at Het Anker – one of a few hotels inside a brewery.
Posted by hilda on February 16, 2017
New Belgium Brewery in partnership with Bazi are hosting a special tasting on Wednesday, February 22nd from 6-9 PM with a portion of proceeds supporting the Immigration Counseling Service (ICS).
This New Belgium Lips of Faith tasting event is a fundraiser for the Immigration Counseling Service (ICS) (ics-law.org), a non-profit organization that for over 35 years has been dedicated to improving the lives of Oregon’s immigrant communities, and most recently expanded to include work with unaccompanied children and survivors of human trafficking.
The New Belgium collaboration series will highlight the following 4 beers:
- New Belgium Lips of Faith Allagash Fat Funk:6% ABV, Fat Tire with a De Dolle house Belgian yeast strain that adds classic pear, banana and spice to Fat Tire’s malty goodness. The added brett provides a spicy finish.
- New Belgium Lips of Faith Anne-Francoise Spiced Dark Strong Ale: 9.5% ABV, collaboration between Orval’s first female brewmaster Anne-Françoise Pypaert and New Belgium’s Peter Bouckaert. Spruce tips and medium-toasted American oak were added to this brooding chocolaty beer, and then wove deeply herbal French Sprisselspalt and spicy Liberty and Willamette hops into the mix.
- New Belgium Lips of Faith Flowering Citrus Ale:4% ABV, collaboration with Antwerp’s historic De Koninck Brewery is a delightful burst of citrus and flowers, keeping pace with the color and commotion of summer. Sit back and enjoy the pop of key lime and whole lemons; breath in the fragrance of hibiscus, rose petals and strawberry-tinged Mistral hops; toast to life’s pleasant surprises.
- New Belgium Lips of Faith Golden Ale: 7% ABV, collaboration with Belgium’s Hof Ten Dormaal blends modern Mosaic hops and malted sunflower seeds with Old World ingredients such as Saaz hops, spelt, and wild carrot herbs.
The 4 beer tasting tray will be available for $8. Food specials include the Stoofvlees Stew made with the Anne-Francoise spiced strong dark beer and for dessert Liege Belgian Waffle served with a Flowering Citrus ale reduction.
Bazi will be donating a percentage of food and beverage sales to ICS: 15% with cash purchases, 10% with credit card purchases.
Posted by hilda on February 16, 2017
The Beer Party PDX, a grassroots organization of local industry leaders, is excited to announce their first fundraising event. Coinciding with President’s Day, the event on Monday, February 20, 2017 from Noon-10 PM is intended to increase awareness of civil rights issues and will raise money for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). Bazi will be donating 100% of the proceeds of the Heater Allen Marzen to this cause.
Participating bars include Bailey’s Taproom, Bazi Bierbrasserie, The BeerMongers, Belmont Station, Imperial Bottle Shop & Taproom, Lombard House, Roscoe’s, Saraveza, The Thirsty Sasquatch, The Upper Lip, Tin Bucket, and Uptown Market.
More than 25 breweries and cideries are participating in this event with proceeds donated to the ACLU.
This is the first of many Beer Party PDX events with the intent of garnering attention for civil rights issues and increasing participation and action on local, statewide, and national levels.
Posted by hilda on February 5, 2017
Brewpublic hosts its 8th Annual My Beery Valentine on Tuesday, February 14 from 5-9 PM. Spend your Valentine’s Day with a decadent craft beer, dessert beer pairings and specialty themed cocktails.
The draft list includes:
- Alesong Brewing and Blending Mocha Rhino Suit Imperial Milk Stout – aged in Bourbon barrels with Stumptown coffee, cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. This is an early version of the upcoming release on 2/25 at Alesong.
- Lagunitas One Hitter High West Imperial Coffee Stout – aged in High West Rye barrels
- Palm Spéciale – Belgian Pale Ale with a complimentary Belgian chocolate pairing (while chocolates last)
- Base Camp Brewing Dark Times Stout – with raspberry puree.
- Russian River Consecration – sour dark ale aged in cabernet sauvignon barrels with currants.
- Culmination Brewing/Little Beast Brewing Freya – wit beer with chamomile.
- Sierra Nevada Cherry Chocolate Stout
- Ecliptic Brewing Wine Barrel-Aged Rastaban Oud Bruin – with raspberries and cherries
- Upright Brewing Heart’s Beat – Kriek with Brooks cherries Barrel Aged in wine barrels
- Worthy Brewing Kama Citrus IPA
- New West Cider Sweetheart Cider - especially made for the event with sweetheart candies
A special tasting tray will be available for $8 – choose any four of the event beers. Bring someone special or come make new friends because Valentine’s Day is so much better with a beer in hand.
Posted by hilda on February 4, 2017
We are the home of the Liverpool FC Reds. Every game on the big screen with sound every time!
Saturday, February 11 - Doors open at 9:00 AM for the match between Liverpool and Tottenham. Join us for brunch and drink specials!
Posted by hilda on January 28, 2017
A BIG game deserves a BIG 114″ HDTV with surround sound!
Join us for our Annual Super Bowl Viewing Party on Sunday, February 5. Doors open at 1 PM. Enjoy Happy Hour food and drinks specials.
The infamous Commercial Bingo is back with lots of prizes!
Reservations are highly encouraged. Use our online reservation system or call 503-234-8888. Minors are welcomed!
Posted by hilda on January 27, 2017
A gluten-free dinner pairing event with co-hosts Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider and Merchant Du Vin.
Wednesday, February 1
During the seminar, participants will get to:
- Learn about gluten-free beverage options
- Choose between a beer or cider pairing option
- Experience some of the world’s top ranked gluten-free beverages
Walk-away with recipes, resources, and a souvenir Green’s beer glass. Cost: $35 per person inclusive of gratuity. Tickets may be purchased online at Eventbrite. On 20 seats available.
Four Course Menu
The 4-Course Menu includes the following:
Fennel Salad with Honeycrisp Apples and Feta Cheese in a Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
Paired with Green’s IPA OR Reverend Nat’s New Moon Mandarin
Mediterranean Red Curry Sorghum Soup
Paired with Green’s Amber OR Reverend Nat’s Hallelujah Hopricot
Roasted Chicken with Butternut Squash, Sorghum and Pomegranate Seeds
Paired with Green’s Tripel Blonde OR Reverend Nat’s Revival Hard Cider
Belgian Waffles glazed with a Wooden Hellfire Cider Reduction
Green’s Dubbel Dark Ale OR Reverend Nat’s Wooden Hellfire
Disclaimer: Please note that Bazi will make every effort to minimize gluten contact in the kitchen, however, there’s always potential for cross-contamination with gluten food items.
Posted by hilda on January 11, 2017
Explore one of Beercycling’s favorite stops in Belgium as they host a tasting of De Dolle Brouwers on Wednesday, January 25 from 6:30-9:30 PM.
De Dolle Brouwers (“The Mad Brewers”) is a Belgian brewery based in the province of West Flanders. The beer hall itself dates back to 1840. The tasting will include 4 oz pours of five different De Dolle beers. Cost is $20 and includes gratuity.
About the beers:
Arabier Belgian Pale Ale: 7.8% ABV, brewed from pure malt and then dry hopped with Popering hops for an earthy bitter finish.
Boskeun: 8.9% ABV, meaning “rabbit” hence being one of the first Easter beers, very hazy golden color with a slight reddish/orange hue. Massive head leaving a nice lacing along the glass.
Dulle Teve Tripel: 10% ABV, mild citrus and lemon note with a fruity taste. Nice dry bitterness in the finish.
Oerbier Strong Dark: 9% ABV, dark reddish brown color with ivory head, flavors of dried cherries and apricots combined with a subtle spicy yeast creates a nice balanced flavor.
Stille Nacht, 2015: 10.8% ABV, heavy malt aromas, caramel, toffee mixed with fruity scents. Finishes dry and crisp.
Additionally, the first 15 attendees will get a complimentary taste of De Dolle Reserva courtesy of Beercycling. Come drink some great hard to find Belgium beers, score some sweet prizes courtesy of Beercycling, and learn about their tours in Oregon, Italy and Belgium.
Posted by hilda on January 10, 2017
Doors open at 1 PM on Saturday, January 14 for the Seahawks vs Falcons NFL game, followed by the Texans vs Patriots. Enjoy early Happy Hour with food and drink specials!
Posted by hilda on January 8, 2017
Join us Tuesday, January 10 at 6 PM for President Obama’s Farewell Address. Enjoy Happy Hour and Movie Night Tuesday food and beverage pairing specials.